Failing Smoke Detectors
Ionization smoke detectors fail 65% of the time in a smoldering fire.
Ionization smoke detectors are not designed to pick up large particle smoke from smoldering fires. Ionization smoke detectors are designed to pick up smoke particles from fast high flaming fires with smaller particle smoke. Ionization smoke detectors are considered nuisance alarms due to the fact they will go off simply by making toast, boiling water, turning an electric stove, due to they produce smaller/finer smoke particles. Photoelectric smoke detectors are designed to pick up large and small particle smoke which can save lives in the event of a fire. Photoelectric smoke detectors will alert the occupants faster and sooner then a ionization smoke detector.It is recommended that every house should install a photoelectric smoke detector at least one on every floor of the home to alert the occupants in the event of a fire. It is suggested to make a fire escape route and practice that route and maybe have a few different routes in the event of the fire in different locations and different floors of the house.
Since the fire at the University of Cincinnati on New years day 3013, the city of Cincinnati has changed and implements a City Ordinance to change that rule. Cincinnati City Council passed an ordinance on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 to require photoelectric smoke detectors in rental properties. Buildings with less than 12 units have 6 months to install one photoelectric smoke detector in a bedroom, or outside of a bedroom between contiguous
bedrooms. Buildings with 13 or more units are to install the photoelectric smoke detectors at turnover and have them all in place within 2 years.
The state of Ohio has changed the law that all new construction housing is required to have photoelectric smoke detectors installed as of April, 1, 2015, But that law has not been finalized and put into action as of yet.
Photoelectric smoke detectors cost approx 15-20 dollars, Is your family and property and personal items worth the cost of the photoelectric smoke detectors.
There is one thing for sure and that is fires will happen and you never know when it can happen to you and your family, Hopefully you never have to experience this type of loss, but if you do don't you want to be prepared in the event that it does happen and be alerted when it does happen and not be a statistic.
Here is a list of College campus fires in the state of Ohio since 2000. There have been 161 lives lost in college campus fires since 2000 in the United States. Ever wonder how many of those lives may have been saved with the proper smoke detectors to alert the occupants?
Fatal campus-related fires in Ohio since 2000
Dec. 10, 2000:
University of Dayton senior Austin Cohen, 21, of Loveland, was killed in a fire at a university-owned house. The fire alarm system was disabled at the time of the fire. There were eight students living in the house at the time of the fire. The residents had extinguished an earlier fire at the house. One of the occupants, Paul Morgan, was later arrested and pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and arson. He served a six-month sentence at a community correctional facility.
May 19, 2001:
Ohio University senior Jamie Dutko, 22, of Strongsville, was killed in a fire that started in an electrical strip under a desk in her bedroom. A second occupant, Travis Frymoyer, 21, of Centerville, who was visiting died six days later.
May 19, 2001:
John Carroll University senior Michael Mansmann, 23, Eighty Four, Pa., was killed in an off-campus house fire caused by a discarded cigarette in a couch.
April 13, 2003:
Five students were killed in off-campus fire near Ohio State University. Two of the students attended OSU — Kyle Raulin, 20, of West Chester Twp., and Alan Schlessman, 21, of Sandusky. Three other students were visiting from Ohio University: Andrea Dennis, 20, of Madeira, Erin DeMarco, 19, of Canton, and Christine Wilson, 19, of Dublin. The fire was ruled an arson. No one has been prosecuted for the crime.
April 10, 2005:
Three Miami University students — Julie Turnbull, 21, of Milford, Kathryn Welling, 21, of Bronxville, N.Y., and Stephen Smith, 22, of Bethesda, Md. — were killed in off-campus house fire. The fire started in a couch on the front porch from a discarded cigarette. Eight other occupants were able to escape.
April 21, 2007:
Matt Simpson, 20, who had been a student at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, was killed in an off-campus fire. There were no working smoke alarms in the house.
Jan. 1, 2013:
University of Cincinnati students Chad Kohls of Centerville and Ellen Garner of Tipp City were killed in a fire in off-campus housing. The blaze was caused by a space heater that ignited bedding in a second-floor bedroom. No charges have been filed.